Welcome to OIAF2020 online. If you are having trouble, we are here to help – along with our friends at Eventive.
Live help is available from 10am to 10pm EDT from Sept 23 to Oct 4.
How to reach us:
Chat to us (bottom right of your screen)
Call: (613) 232-8769
Having trouble with OIAF 2020? Check our Troubleshooting information below or start a live chat with us.
OIAF 2020 Basics
Many of our screenings and some VOD talks can be found on our Watch site, hosted by Eventive.
To log in to watch.oiaf2020.ca you will use the same login information you used to buy/register your pass.
You will have access to this site soon as you buy your pass.
- TO DO: Save that password – you’ll be using it a lot
Compatibility: Eventive’s streaming platform works on most Windows and Mac computers, as well as most Android and iOS devices. There are also a number of ways you can watch on your TV. You can find more information in the Troubleshooting section.
- TO DO: Make sure you use Eventive’s Device Compatibility Test to guarantee that your device will work on Eventive’s platform.
- TO DO: If you want to watch on your TV, check our instructions below or check Eventive’s instructions, found on Eventive’s excellent help page
More tips about watch.oiaf2020.ca
- When you’ve opened the film programme or talk you want to watch, all you have to do is click “Unlock”, then you’ll be able to start watching. If what you want to watch isn’t available yet, you’ll be able to pre-order it in advance and receive an email reminder once it’s available. Any time you unlock any films or talks, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a link to it, in case you get lost!.
- The Official Competitions run live at set dates and times (but are available for 24 hours after the live screening) and are followed by a Q&A with the filmmakers. If you miss one, fear not, they will be available on-demand October 3-4. (Live might be a bit more exciting though!)
- TO DO: You will receive an email from the virtual OIAF platform to set up your password. You’ll need this to have access to virtual.oiaf2020.ca. Emails are sent out every morning for pass orders made the previous day.
- Hot Tip! Use the same password that you used to order your pass. Your user name will be the same.
The OIAF Virtual Experience is your connection to:
- The Animation Exposé Fair to visit schools, recruiters and check out other resources.
- A schedule and links to the day’s Live Events
- Exclusive passholder-only professional development talks
- The Artist Gallery, presented by Warner Bros. Animation
- OIAF Hangouts and NightOwl
- The films and talks available on the OIAF Watch portal.
What do I need to know about the OIAF Virtual Experience?
- If your device works on the Watch site, it should work with the presentations and activities on the Virtual Experience Platform. You can find more detailed system requirements in the Troubleshooting section.
What is your Code of Conduct?
- Participants must follow the Canadian Film Institute’s Code of Conduct or risk losing their pass. Click HERE to read it.
What is the difference between a Live and On Demand event?
- Some screenings (the Short Film and Young Audiences Competitions) and some talks are “Live” meaning they run at a set day and time. Many programmes are On Demand, which means you can watch them any time from September 23 to October 4.
Will the films have Closed Captioning, Video Description, or any other accessibility options available?
- All the Gala Live Streams for the Short Film and Young Audiences Competitions will have automated closed captioning available. For all other OIAF 2020 content, the potential availability of those options will vary, and will depend on what has been made available to us.
Will the films be available to watch anywhere in the world?
- We’ve made an effort to make as much of OIAF 2020’s programming available globally as possible. While most of OIAF 2020 won’t have any regional restrictions, due to circumstances beyond our control the film Zabij To Wyjedz Z Tego Miasta (Kill It and Leave This Town) will not be available in Quebec.
PCs running Windows 10.
Supported Browsers: The latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer is not supported.
PCs running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
Supported Browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera. We recommend using the latest version of your browser. Internet Explorer is not supported.
If Chromecasting, you must have a 3rd generation or later Chromecast.
Supported Browsers: The latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari
MacOS 10.12 or later
Supported Browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Opera. We recommend using the latest version of your browser.
Supported Browsers: The latest versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge
Android 6+, using Chrome is recommended.
If Chromecasting, you must have a 3rd generation or later Chromecast.
iOS (iPhone or iPad)
iOS 11.2 or later. Using Safari is recommended.
Due to content protection restrictions, Screen Mirroring cannot be used. HDMI or other video dongles also cannot be used. Instead use AirPlay or the dedicated Eventive TV app to watch on your TV.
Test your device’s compatibility on Watch.OIAF2020.ca
Make sure your computer or mobile device will work on Eventive’s OIAF 2020 platform with their free test video.
OIAF 2020 Virtual Experience Platform
Having issues with virtual.oiaf2020.ca?
For help with the OIAF 2020 Virtual Experience Platform, please contact ellicom
Using AirPlay or Chromecast
If you have an Apple TV, Chromecast (3rd gen or later), or a smart TV enabled with AirPlay or Chromecast, set your computer, mobile device or browser to “AirPlay” or “cast” to the TV device. Unlock the OIAF programme, then set your player window to full-screen using the icon at the lower right.
While Chromecast will work on select Android devices, Chromecast on iOS devices are not compatible with the Eventive platform.
Important note: Due to content protection restrictions, the Screen Mirroring feature on Smart TVs and other devices cannot be used. Many browsers built into Smart TVs and other devices will NOT allow protected content to play.
Using an HDMI cable
You can directly connect a laptop or computer using an HDMI cable by doing the following:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable into an available HDMI port on the TV. Take note of the HDMI input number it is being connected to.
- Plug the other end of the cable into your laptop’s HDMI out port
- Set the TV to the HDMI Input port that the computer is connected to using the source or display button on your TV remote.
- If your computer’s display does not automatically appear on your television screen, you may need to have the computer manually detect the display.
- Windows: Right-click on the desktop > Display Settings > Click Detect > Click the “Multiple displays” drop-down box and select “Duplicate these displays”) > Click Apply.
- Mac: Go to the Apple Menu > choose System Preferences > Choose the “Displays” panel > Hold down the “Option” key to show the “Detect Displays” button – note that it replaces the ‘Gather Windows’ button > Click on “Detect Displays” while holding down Option to use the function as intended.
Watching On Demand using the Eventive TV app on AppleTV
Please note: Live Streams are currently not available via the TV app. You can AirPlay them from another device to your TV.
Please download the “Eventive TV” app from the Apple TV App Store (accessible via your TV). You must have at least a generation 4 Apple TV to access the App Store.
When you open the app for the first time you’ll see an activation code. On another device, please navigate to watch.eventive.org/tv, then login if necessary and use the code to connect your account. Now, select from the available channels on the Eventive Apple TV app to begin watching. All of your unlocked content will be available on the app. If a program has not already been unlocked, you’ll have to unlock it on another device such as a laptop or mobile device first.
If you ever need to re-activate the TV app, you can select TV app setup by hovering over the login ID circle at the upper right of the device screen.
Watching On Demand using the Eventive TV channel on Roku
Please note: livestreams are currently not available via the TV app. You can cast them from another device to your TV.
Search for “Eventive TV” in the Roku Channel Store on your Roku. You can also add the Eventive TV app to your Roku via the Roku website by clicking here.
Once you have installed the app, open it and follow the instructions to login. All of your unlocked content will be available on the app. If a program has not already been unlocked, you’ll have to unlock it on another device such as a laptop or mobile device first.
GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS FOR WATCH.OIAF2020.CA
My movie won't play!
Please confirm that you are not on a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Eventive’s content protection protocol does not allow VPN access.
Are you logged in with the correct account? Please check your login status at the upper right of the Eventive window. If you are logged in you will see a circle with the initials of the account holder. To switch accounts, click on the circle and select “sign out”, then login (using email address or facebook login) to the preferred account.
If you are not logged in, you’ll see the word “login” at the upper right of the window. Click “login” and enter the desired account credentials.
You may also login directly from the order pop-up if you click “unlock movie” while logged out.
If all you see in the player window is a black screen, please click or tap on the window to activate the player controls.
Why is the video stalling or not playing smoothly?
Eventive uses adaptive bitrate streaming which means the streaming quality will automatically adjust based on your internet speed. If your internet connection is poor or inconsistent, or if you have several wifi enabled devices connected simultaneously, you may experience problems during playback. If you’re on wifi, try moving closer to your router. You may also try connecting directly to your router via an ethernet cable.
I bought a ticket/have a pass, but now it's telling me to unlock the programme again
Please confirm that you are logged in with the same email address or Facebook login you used to purchase the programme. You can login using the login link at the upper right corner of the screen, or if you are not logged in at all you’ll be prompted to login after clicking “unlock now.”
If you still cannot access your content, visit your Content Library to verify that you’ve unlocked the program and access it from there.
I started the programme, and all I see is a black screen but I can still hear audio
- If you are using an external display, try disconnecting the display. Your display may not support the encryption necessary to securely stream your content.
- If you cannot detach the external display and are using Safari on a Mac, try switching to Google Chrome.
- If you are on a mobile device, try letting the film play for 15 seconds.
- If none of these steps help, please contact Eventive using the live chat at the bottom of this page.
STILL HAVING PROBLEMS?
You can start a live support chat with us between 10am to 10pm EDT using the chat icon on the bottom right of this page.
You can also start a live support chat directly with the Eventive team on their Help page